I had a craving for something sweet, warm and chewy for breakfast but I have that New Year's-watching-the-calores thing going...so I just made up this quick bread recipe on the spot using all healthy ingredients that I already had lying around. How can you go wrong with shredded vitamin-rich apples and carrots, high-fiber flax meal and whole wheat flour, and metabolism-boosting spices like cinnamon and ginger? It came out super moist and tastes like it should be sinful. But it isn't. :)
Cinnamon Apple Carrot Flax Bread
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup white flour
¼ cup flax meal
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½-1 tsp. ground ginger
1½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
1 peeled & grated apple
1 grated carrot
1 cup packed brown sugar (light or dark)
¼ cup oil
3/4 cup buttermilk (or sour cream or yogurt)
1 tsp vanilla
Topping (optional): a little shredded coconut or a sprinkle of cinnamon flax sugar
1. Sift together first 8 ingredients into a large bowl. Stir with a whisk to combine. Stir in the grated carrot and apple.
2. In another bowl, cream together eggs, sugar, oil, buttermilk and vanilla.
3. Stir dry mix into the wet mix and combine well.
4. Grease only the bottom of a loaf pan and add batter to pan. Spread out evenly. Sprinkle optional coconut or cinnamon flax sugar on the top.
5. Bake in the center rack of the oven on 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Let it cool off. Schmear it with lotsa butter (for spreading on toast and stuff, I really like Soy Garden brand butter) and eat it up!