Monday, March 23, 2009

Warm Carrot Cake Pancakes with Creamy Vanilla Cream Cheese


I woke up on Sunday and realized I missed "my" food. I'd been doing a little too much baking (and eating) of unflapperlike foods recently (see “About FlapperFood” to the right). That said, I was more than happy to sit over coffee with my recipe box as if I were catching up with an old friend.

I always make brunch at home at least one day of the weekend, and decided to Flapperfy a wonderful carrot pancake recipe. They were so delicious and completely (thank you Will Ferrell) scrumptrelescent, that I don’t see why anyone would want the original version! I added whole wheat flour, Stevia sweetener, and soy milk instead of the original version's refined flours, sugars and fatty cheese.

The warm cakes topped with cool, vanilla creamy cream-cheese taste just like real carrot cake in fun, FlapperFood form. When my boyfriend took a bite, he smiled and said “It’s like an amusement park in my mouth.” Coming from a roller coaster junkie, I’d say that was a compliment in its highest form.

Try it, you’ll like it.


Warm Carrot Cake Pancakes with Creamy Vanilla Cream Cheese

Ingredients:
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans or walnuts
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon dried ground ginger or finely grated fresh ginger
Dash nutmeg
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup packed brown or granulated sugar
¾ cup soy milk
¼ cup orange juice
2 cups finely grated carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Cream Cheese Topping
8 ounces Tofutti brand soy “cream” cheese
2-3 stevia packets
2 tablespoons soy milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 dash ground cinnamon

1. Make the cream cheese topping: Using a whisk or fork, blend cream cheese, stevia, soy milk, dash cinnamon and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.

2. Using the SMALL side of a box grater, grate the carrots into a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
TIP: The small side is the side you would grate parmesean cheese with, not mozzarella. This way, the carrots will be a nice, tender texture in the cakes, just like real carrot cake.

3. In a large bowl, combine flour, nuts, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg.

4. In the bowl of grated carrots, combine egg, brown sugar, milk, OJ and vanilla; mix well.

5. Stir the wet carrot mixture into the dry ingredients until moistened. Pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a greased, hot griddle. Flip the cakes when bubbles form on the top of pancake. Cook until golden brown.
[TIP: Try not to use too much oil in the pan; it will help the cakes not burn. I like to use spray can olive oil (like Pam), or brush a little oil into the pan with a basting brush)

6. To plate the pancakes: Lay a pancake on the plate, top with a dollop of cream cheese “frosting”; add another pancake and another dollop of cream cheese. Continue like this, making a tower as tall as you like. Finish with a dollop of cream cheese and sprinkle with cinnamon. If desired, drizzle a little bit of 100% pure maple syrup on the top if you like. (Doesn’t need it though!)


So, in other news...I've got this bowl full of verrry ripe bananas, and I'd like to make something other than banana bread (sure I love it, but I've already posted my favorite banana bread recipe!). Have a banana-happy request or suggestion? Let me know by posting a comment: Coffee, tea, a recipe?
I'll do my best to flapperfy any dish your little heart desires, with or without bananas. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow - Can't wait to try!! - vanessat

flappergirl said...

let me know what you think, V! xo

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio