Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Cherry Cloud Pancakes with Warm Maple Cherry Syrup

If any fruit could be considered glamorous, I’d have to go with the cherry. I’d even go so far as to call cherries sexy.

The other night, the fresh bing cherries looked so pretty and shiny at the produce stand, so juicy and bulbous, that I was completely seduced by them and took them back to my apartment.

In my enamored state, I came up with a new pancake recipe, which is an adaptation of an old apple-cottage cheese pancake recipe. The whipped egg whites and fluffy ricotta create a glamorous, cloud-like texture. Drizzle the top with some warm maple berry syrup and you’ve got some seriously sensual snacks on hand. And I guarantee you won't regret this one in the morning.


CHERRY CLOUD PANCAKES WITH WARM MAPLE CHERRY SYRUP

Pancake Batter Ingredients:

4 Eggs; separated, see note
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup pitted, chopped cherries (the cherries should equal 1 cup after they are chopped)
¾ cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat or combo of both
1-3 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon honey
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
Oil or butter for frying

Maple Cherry Syrup Ingredients:

1 handful of pitted, chopped cherries
1 ½ cups real maple syrup

MAKE THE SYRUP:

Pit cherries, slice them into quarters, and place them into a small saucepan with the maple syrup. Witha fork, stir and press the cherries just a bit to extract some of their color and juices.

Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.

MAKE THE PANCAKES:
Pit and finely chop cherries on a cutting board or place in food processor, and pulse till grated. The fully chopped cherries should equal a one-cup measurement.

With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites until stiff in a small bowl. Combine all other ingredients (except maple syrup topping and frying oil) in a medium-sized bowl and mix well. Fold in the egg whites.

Heat oil or melt butter in a skillet on just-below-medium-low heat. When it is hot enough to sizzle a drop of batter on contact, add spoonfuls of batter. Fry on both sides until firm and lightly browned.

Serve right away, topped with soft butter and warm maple cherry syrup. Eat it up. Smile. Have seconds. Smile again.

5 comments:

samantha said...

I LOVE CHERRIES. THEY ARE MY FAV.

flappergirl said...

you are a cute 'n' sexy fraggle :)

Bing said...

My parents named me after a type of cherry. All I wanted when I was little was a virgin Shirley Temple with Maraschino cherries. Enough about me; I can't wait to flip these sweet, fluffy clouds in my pan this weekend. That's when I cook breakfast for my partner, Bruce.)

Richard212 said...

Ok.. that looks really good.

flappergirl said...

Thanks Richard!
If you make them , let me know how they turn out!

You can also substitute 1 cup of grated tart apple for the cherries--also yummy!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio