Thursday, May 28, 2009

Filipino Chicken Adobo

Funny how things can change so quickly. A couple months ago, I used to walk home from work daydreaming of the perfect, mile-high meringue pie emerging from my little oven. Now, it’s all about mile-high wedding cakes, fall color schemes, bridal flowers, and hand-written vows. I just can’t stop feeling all dreamy and fuzzy and happy. I’ve become one of those bridal nerds right before my very eyes, with no plans of stopping. Gasp!

That said, I didn’t really prepare anything spectacular this week for that package of skinless drumsticks and thighs in my fridge, as I was busy picturing myself on a moped, wind blowing through my hair, in some exotic honeymoon location with my new husband. I think I also happened to be about 6 feet tall and 100 pounds with shiny, flaxen hair down to my hips...Do you think this might be a good time to set aside those bridal mags? Yeah, me too.

Thank god for this recipe I found I’d tucked away a few months ago. Pantry-friendly, easy, cheap and yummy! I served this over brown rice and a side of steamed greens, then poured the yummy juices all over the top. The lovely thing about this recipe, is that the outside of the chicken darkens to a deep, rich golden brown in the soy sauce, but when you cut into it, the meat is light-hued and tender-juicy.

So I know some of my Filipino friends will be reading this, and I hope you will please chime in and let me know if the ingredient list resembles anything your mamas made growing up.

Now, where was I? Ah yes….bridesmaids dresses in October...honeymoons...Paris...Italy... I wonder if mopeds come with seat belts...

FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO

Ingredients:


4 chicken drumsticks
4 chicken thighs
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white onion, chopped
1 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon peppercorn, crushed
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon brown sugar (more or less depending on your taste preference)

Directions:

1. In a large pot, heat oil over medium high heat.
2. Add garlic and onions to pot, saute.
3. Place chicken in with the garlic and onions and slightly sear the chicken on all sides.
4. Add vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns, and bay leaves. Cover and allow to cook over medium heat for about half an hour.
5. Add brown sugar and stir well.
6. Replace cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Serve over rice.
7. Eat it up as you daydream of something wonderful. :)

6 comments:

samantha said...

loved that. and paris and italy sound great to me...with or without mopeds. xoxo.

flappergirl said...

thanks, and amen, sis!!!
xo

Jessica Martiele said...

With skin and bones, both? Just checking.

Congrats, and good luck with the planning. Where are you being married? Do you have a date set? And the all-important question, of course...what color bridesmaid dresses? (Go with chartreuse...sure to make you not only the best-looking at best-dressed at your wedding, but the only person NOT an eyesore, and therefore more viewable!) Oh, and the mopeds? No, no seatbelts, but who needs one when you're grasping the rippling shirtless pectorals of the God-like hunk you just married speeding you both down the highway of honeymoon love? Sigh.

flappergirl said...

Hi Jessica! HOw's it going? We're getting married on October 18th!! :)

As far as the chicken goes, I used skinless drums and thighs with the bones in. :)

Jessica Martiele said...

Our anniv is August 18th; at least you got the day right! :) Happy planning!!!

Joseph said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Filipino Chicken Adobo" to our Directory of Honeymoon Travels and Locations. You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

honeymun.com Team

http://www.honeymun.com

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio