Thursday, June 25, 2009

Blackberry Crunch Muffins with Whipped Honey Butter

I have a little confession to make. I have coffee in bed every morning. I have been doing this faithfully for most of my adult life. I look forward to it each and every morning. I kiss my fiance goodbye and proceed to make the most exquisite coffee with roasted aromatic beans from an exotic and faraway land. There’s a market near me that grinds beans from all over the world, and I try a different Arabica bean every week. Thank you, Indonesia, for one of the most sublime weeks of coffee in bed I’ve ever had.

And thank you, cute little Small Batch Baking cookbook, for the delicious muffins. I whipped up a few of these after my little coffee ritual in mere minutes. This adorable recipe makes 4 muffins – just right for my breakfast and his after-work snack.

I had some Ezekiel 4:9 brand granola to use up, but it’s a wonderfully cheap ‘n’ cheerful notion to make your own granola – great to have on hand for enjoying with milk or yogurt, and especially for muffin snack attacks like these. The original recipe called for blueberries, but blackberries seemed like a succulent substitution. And oh my, was it ever.
BLACKBERRY CRUNCH MUFFINS
with WHIPPED HONEY BUTTER

Ingredients:
Butter for greasing tins, or 4 paper muffin liners
1 standard muffin pan, ½ cup capacity

1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
(OR you can omit white flour and increase whole wheat flour to 2/3 cup)
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
Pinch salt (I use sea salt)
Pinch ground nutmeg
½ cup granola
¼ cup buttermilk
¼ cup packed light brown sugar OR a scant ¼ cup of honey
1 medium egg
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
½ tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup fresh or thawed frozen blackberries

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line muffin tins with liners or grease the bottoms only of the 4 muffin tins. Fill the remaining empty muffin cups with water to prevent the pan from scorching.

2. In a medium sized bowl, sift then whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. Stir in half of the granola (1/4 cup)

3. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the buttermilk, sugar or honey, egg, vegetable oil and vanilla.
Add the milk mix to the dry ingredients and stir lightly just until combined. Fold in the blackberries.

4. Fill the four muffin cups with the batter, distributing it evenly among each cup. Top the batter with the remaining granola, and press it down lightly so that it sticks a bit to the muffin batter.

5. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the pan with tongs and let cool on a plate for a few minutes. Schmear with the lovely honey butter, watch it melt and drip and eat it with plenty of joy.
Whipped Honey Butter

Ingredients:
4 Tbs. butter (I love Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread for spreading on breads and muffins!)
2 Tbs. honey
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon or ginger

Directions:
1. Beat in a small bowl with a hand mixer until it becomes very fluffy and lighter in color.

2. Spread thickly and with eagerness onto a split, warm blackberry muffin. Smile. Eat with plenty of joy. Have another.

Ground control to Major Tom...
And how about this little contraption? It's like a portable little space ship for your muffin or cupcake. I bought two from Williams-Sonoma and really get a lot of use out of them. Frosting and crumb toppings transport flawlessly to work, and everytime I pack one up I find myself beginning to hum "This is ground control to Major Tom...


2 comments:

Jessica Martiele said...

Breakfast one day this week! Thank you! By the way, do you find that the calorie and fat reduction is worth the "real butter" trade?

flappergirl said...

Hey Jessica!

In certain instances, I will say absolutely not! I *always* bake with 100 percent pure butter. But I do enjoy Earth Garden flavor on toast and muffins a lot. :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio