Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Spicy Calamari Stew

Hi. I’ve been away for a few days. I hope you will forgive me. It isn’t that I haven’t been thinking about this blog every day; I have, I have! And I’ve missed you. But truth be told…I confess, the last couple rounds of pictures have been, well, lame.

I was so excited about the Cuban beef hash I made the other night. It was delicious! But the pictures, oh the pictures...Wrong lighting, bad exposure...they came out looking like the contents of a baby’s diaper. I know, I’m sorry! TMI! TMI! But I feel the need to explain.

That said…I am back, and all too stoked about this stew I made last night! I have never cooked with calamari, and to my surprise and delight, frozen calamari (like my old pal, frozen shrimp), cooks up to a soft and delicate texture. No rubber bands in this dish! Just soft, lovely rings of calamari in a spicy fra diablo tomato base. You can thaw the squid exactly as you thaw shrimp: Read all about it.

It is sublime served over whole wheat couscous or pasta, but just a nice big bowl on its own is truly a joyous thing.


SPICY CALAMARI STEW

Ingredients:


3 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced finely
1 stalk celery, chopped to small dice
1 small carrot, chopped to small dice
½ sweet onion, chopped to small dice
1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
1 cup white wine
1-2 teaspoons fresh thyme
½ tsp fresh chopped oregano (optional)
½-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds calamari (squid), bodies thinly sliced and tentacles whole
Fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:

1. Warm the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large, deep skillet or pot. Add the garlic, celery, onion, carrot and pepper, and let cook until fragrant and onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir often so it doesn’t brown.

2. Add the tomato sauce, white wine, thyme,optional oregano, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a simmer.

3. Add the calamari and stir to combine. Continue to cook until the mixture comes back up to a simmer, about 2 more minutes. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top. Serve immediately and be oh-so-very glad about it all.

4 comments:

Jessica Martiele said...

Mmmm...can I just go ahead and use shrimp?

flappergirl said...

i bet that would be delish, Jessica!! Bet scallops would be, too... :)

Mike said...

Diane - added you to my blog...since triathletes love to eat I'll share with those in my lil' circle of trust and spread the word. YUM!

flappergirl said...

Hi Mike, Thanks for the add, old friend! And kick some triathlete BOOTY on your upcoming event!!! :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio