Friday, June 19, 2009

Tahini Spice Cake with Intention

Have you noticed a glaring contradiction on this site yet? Have I told you yet that said “glaring contradiction” is a running theme in my life? I haven’t? Well let me tell you…

As you have probably read by now, Flapper Food is a clearly defined term: clean, pure, not processed, natural ingredients. I am one of those people that sincerely enjoys the taste of a raw carrot just for the taste of it – no salt, no dip, just a nice, sweet, crunchy carrot in all its humble glory. And I like to live my life that way: with intention, simplicity and truth, whether other people find it tasty or not. I want so badly to share my carrots and for everyone to like those hypothetical carrots as much as I do, and I feel so sad when they don’t. But still I crunch…

That said, I have a sweet tooth that borders on criminal. This is the glaring contradiction that warrants my Flapper Food caveat “for a special occasion.” It gives me a Get-Out-of-FlapperFood-Jail Free Card, so that I can bake to my heart’s content whenever the heck I feel the urge.

About the cake: Let’s just say that last night, I felt the urge. This urge involved a huge vat of tahini and a lot of, um, intention. I found a tahini cake recipe online that looked pretty good to me, so I modified it to my tastes as well as the contents of my pantry (like say, buttermilk instead of milk, and raspberry brown ale instead of cognac, a mix of whole and white flours, things like that.) The result is a tangy, savory-sweet, nutty, bold, and wholly unique cake.

So in the end, maybe my caveat is not as much of a contradiction as I thought. The bold and completely unique personality of this cake is a reminder to live life the same way: with cheeky, slightly nutty, but totally authentic intention.

TAHINI SPICE CAKE

Ingredients:
3 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar plus more for dusting (I used turbinado sugar)
1 1/2 cups sesame tahini
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup dark brown beer (I used Otter Creek Raspberry Brown Ale)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
zest of one orange (1 small orange will supply the juice and the zest)
1 cup of all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup hulled sesame seeds

Directions:
Pre-heat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a 9″ cake pan and dust with a little flour

With a whisk or hand mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar till fluffy. Add the rest of the wet ingredients and combine.

Mix the flour and the rest of the dry ingredients (except for the sesame seeds) in a separate bowl.

Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, whisking to combine.

Pour into prepared pan and sprinkle sesame seeds and sugar all over the top of the cake. (I would say about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar.) Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

NOTE: The complex tang of this cake is on its knees imploring for blueberry ice cream…or vanilla ice cream with freshly smashed blueberries mixed throughout. Holla!

4 comments:

Richard212 said...

excellent food shots

flappergirl said...

Thanks! I give props to a decent little photography lesson I had earler this week.... ;)

roz said...

This was the most amazing cake. So moist! I had three pieces. I can't wait to make it myself.

flappergirl said...

Thanks Roz! I'm so glad you liked it!! Yes I was pleasantly surprised at the texture too! All that tahini made it super moist. :)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio