Friday, July 10, 2009

Fig Scones

Sometimes when I pull baking sheets out of the oven I talk to the items sitting atop of them. “Hello scones. Oh you lovely little breakfast babies. I love you. Yes I do. You did a good job there in the oven. I’m proud of all your hard work.”

These crumbly little cuties are a bit of heaven if you ask me. Oh and the figs? Forget it, I'm convinced God was just in a really good mood when he invented them. Both fresh and dried are perfect foods to me. Fresh figs are aphrodisiacally delicious, like, oh say, poached in port and served warm over vanilla ice creammmm. And dried figs are to-die-for in baked foods, ever-reminiscent of one of the best cookies of childhood and maybe ever: the almighty Fig Newton.

You can use either fresh or dried figs in this recipe, but I chose dried because the raisin-like chewiness of the fig flesh, along with that little crunchy pop of the inner seeds just seemed like it needed to be nestled inside the flaky loveliness of a buttery scone.

This is another very easy and fun-to-make quick bread. I sit happy and reassured at the fact I’ll never again have to spend 5 bucks on a cold, hard scone from my local corporate coffee conveyor belt, when I can have my home smelling like a sweet Irish lass’s B&B in minutes. And no one's going to be afraid when I fuss and coo at my beautiful baked babies.
FIG SCONES
adapted from Whole Foods Market

Ingredients
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup rolled oats or (i used red winter wheat)
3 tablespoons flax seeds
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces and well chilled
3/4 cup chopped dried figs
2/3 cup honey
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk, divided
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional, but adds a lot of flavor and aroma!)
1 to 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar (optional)
Method

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Put flour, oats, flax seeds, baking powder and salt into a food processor and pulse until combined. Add butter and pulse again mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add apricots and repeat process.

In a small bowl, whisk together honey, 1/2 cup of the buttermilk, eggs and almond extract then pour in a constant stream into food processor while pulsing just until mixture is blended. Transfer dough to a well-floured surface and form into a 9-inch circle. Using a floured knife, cut dough into 12 wedges and transfer to a large baking sheet, arranging the scones 1 to 2 inches apart.

Brush scones with remaining 1 tablespoon buttermilk then sprinkle with sugar. Bake until cooked through and golden brown around the edges, about 25 minutes. Serve hot or at room temperature.

1 comments:

Ned Cooney said...

I sure wish I could stay at your Bed & Breakfast. Maybe you will have one someday, and it'll be called McFlapper's. Keep those snacks-a-comin', lass!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio