Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pomegranate Shrimp

How was your Fourth of July? Did you enjoy the long weekend? I live in a big city, and while I spent a bit of the weekend longing for a backyard and a grill (and a washing machine that doesn't require quarters to run!!), my fiance and I managed to have a lot of fun riding down the coast to the beach.

That said, I had no interest lollying for hours in my kitchen as I usually do--the big blue sky was out there waiting for us to play under it! So we had a quick bite of 5-minute pomegranate shrimp, grabbed the sunscreen, and we were on off...


POMEGRANATE SHRIMP
Adapted from Modern Spice

I am in love with my new favorite pantry condiment: pomegranate molasses. I just bought it by chance in a Middle Eastern grocery because it looked interesting and was inexpensive....and it turned out to be an killer ingredient in so many dishes! I recommend you grab a bottle for yourself. It's tart-sweet-tang adds a gorgeous depth of flavor to so many dishes.

Serves 4 as an entree

1 ½ pounds shrimp, shelled and deveined
2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon minced garlic
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon red chile powder or red chile flakes
½ teaspoon ground coriander
¼ teaspoon table salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 sprig fresh curry leaves
2 large or 4 to 6 small shallots, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh pomegranate seeds (see Note)

In a large bowl, combine the shrimp, pomegranate molasses, garlic, turmeric, chile powder, coriander, and salt. Mix well. The best way to do this is with your hands.

Heat the vegetable oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. When it shimmers, add the curry leaves and shallots. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the shallots just begin to change color.

Add the shrimp and marinade. Toss for a few minutes, just until the shrimp are completely cooked through.

Remove from the heat and serve immediately, sprinkled with pomegranate seeds.

Note: Use only fresh pomegranate seeds, not dried, or you will have a mess on your hands!

2 comments:

Jessica Martiele said...

This...looks...AMAZING. I've never known what I could do with pomegranate molasses, outside of making salad dressing and muffins, so this is PURRRRR-FECT! Thanks, Flappergirl, for saving the day again!

flappergirl said...

sooo yummy, Jessica! i really loved this recipe. yeah, that pomegranate molasses just keeps delivering!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio