Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Poppy Seed Bread


Before I begin, I’d like to ask that you put on the [soundtrack to this post by playing this. ] Ah, nice and soft volume….good…the mood is set...


Dear Tony the Tiger, Boo Berry, Sugar Bear, and of course my beloved, Sonny the Cuckoo,

It is with wistful nostalgia that I share my news with you today.

Alas, it is time to say goodbye.

We both saw it coming. I think we just need a little time apart. I’ve grown and changed. You haven’t. It’s not your fault. I didn’t mean to change; it just…happened. I suppose moving to this town, reading more books, or taking that cooking class had something to do with it. Who can say why the caged bird sings?

I guess what I’m trying to say Sonny, Tony, Boo and Sugar Bear, is that as much as I love you, and will always love you, I can no longer have you in my life as part of this nutritious breakfast.

I’ve fallen for another. Her name is Poppy Seed Bread. I know what you’re thinking. But I’m not a snob, and you know it. Sure, my poppy’s more sophisticated and complex than what I’ve shared with you, but we have fun together. And I feel, well, complete now.

I’m sorry it had to end this way. But it’s over. One day you’ll look back and know this was the best thing that could’ve happened to us. I only hope we can be friends.

Forgive me,
Flappergirl


POPPY SEED BREAD
Adapted from Magnolia Bakery Cookbook

Ingredients:
1 ½ Cups Flour (I used 1 cup spelt, 1 cup soy flour , and ½ cup whole wheat)
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon sea salt
1 ¼ cup vegetable oil
1 ¼ cups sugar (I used 1 cup agave nectar)
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup milk
1 Tbs. pure vanilla extract
¼ cup poppy seeds

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease & flour a 10-inch tube or Bundt pan.

2. In large bowl, whisk together the flours, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.

3. In another large bowl, beat oil and sugar (or agave nectar) till smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.

4. To the egg mix, add the evaporated milk, regular milk and vanilla.

5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet. Mix well. Stir in poppy seeds.

6. Pour into baking pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out with moist crumbs attached to it.

7. Cool for 20 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Vanessa said...

hee hee - you crack me up :)

flappergirl said...

ditto, my girl! ;)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio