Monday, July 27, 2009

Whole Wheat Poppy Seed Cookies

I know, I know, I just featured a recipe with poppy seeds. I’m like that. I get into something, and it’s go-time till it’s gone. The same thing happened with my cousin Karen’s amazing pasta recipe -- I made it for dinner twice last week and had the leftovers for lunch…So my latest craze is poppy seeds. They make things look so pretty and cute, and they add the same kind of sensual crunch to baked foods that figs do (which are, incidentally, my all-time favorite, mother-nature-made snack in the whole wide world.)

These cookies are simple, buttery, delicate and just-right. Biting into a cookie like this, with all these little seeds making that happy “pop-crunch-snap” in the mouth is one of the simplest, smilingest joys not to be guffawed at. Sesame seeds in place of the poppy seeds in this recipe are also highly recommended, and will induce an equal state of general goodwill. I think that if snacks and little bites of sweets containing crunchy things were consumed by all world-leaders on a daily basis, there might be no more war.


WHOLE WHEAT POPPY SEED COOKIES
Adapted from The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

Ingredients:
1/2 c. soft butter
3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
2 beaten Large eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon rind
1/3 c. poppy seeds
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white flour (I used a combo of spelt & soy flour)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1. With a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat till light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla.

2. Add in lemon rind and poppy seeds. Beat another five min.

3. Sift together dry ingredients. Add in to first mix and mix well with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.

4. Refrigerate the dough about an hour (important step, or the cutouts won't do their thing!). Roll to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into your favorite shapes. Bake on a lightly greased tray 10-12 min at 375 degrees.

3 comments:

Jessica Martiele said...

Here's a question for you: Where do you buy 1/3 C of poppyseeds on the cheap??? Seriously, at the store it's like 1/4 C in a little jar for $5 or $10! These look yummy, but I'm just not that rich! :)

vincent said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

flappergirl said...

Hey Jessica!

I hear you--pre-packaged poppyseeds are super expensive in these parts too. I lucked out and found some in the bulk food section of the health food store for cheap though. I think it's like 5 bucks a pound, but I have never been in need of a pound of poppyseeds! Good luck on your hunt and let me know if you find some cheapos! :-)

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio