Monday, August 17, 2009

Crunchy Carrot Pineapple Snack Cake


A cake with no butter? No dairy? No sugar? No refined flour? Only organic fruits, grains and nuts? That tastes good?

Did I just hear a "get the heck outta here?" Yeah, that’s what I said too...

Who wants to hear the words "cake" and "sugar-free" in the same sentence? But trust me on this one. It is delightfully and truly delicious, thanks to my favorite nutritionist in the whole wide world, Ann Louise Gittleman.

Believe me, I'm no anti-dessert, anti-fun, crotchety Miss Gulch of Food...As we all probably know by now, I've been known to get DOWN with a red velvet cake or some real-deal milk chocolate chip cookies. I admit I've a killer sweet tooth and I loooove to bake. But for every day eating, I really do try to limit my sugar and flour consumption. And hey, I honestly appreciate what comes out of Mother Nature's "oven" just the way it is, without it being transformed by complex cooking techniques. (A crunchy, cold apple is just so under-rated!) :)

This carrot cake tastes amazing spread with Stevia-sweetened cream cheese (soy for me) or a bit of honey drizzled on top, but it's also really delicious as is.


ALG'S CRUNCHY CARROT PINEAPPLE SNACK CAKE
Recipe courtesy of Ann Louise Gittleman
(serves 8 to 10 people)

3 large carrots
1 large egg
3/8 cup oil (like coconut or macadamia nut)
1 8 oz can crushed pineapple in own juice
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour (I used spelt & millet flours)
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg (or cloves)
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Scrub and grate the carrots on the small side of the grater. Measure 1 cup and set aside. Spray 8-inch square baking pan with cooking spray (I don't have a square pan, so I used a Bundt cake pan and it worked out beautifully).

In blender, combine egg, oil, pineapple and juice, raisins, walnuts and vanilla. Process until raisins are finely chopped. (I don’t have a blender yet, so I just chopped the heck out of all of this on a cutting board, and it worked fine.)

Measure flour, spices, salt, and baking powder into large mixing bowl. Stir well. Add blended mixture and grated carrots to dry ingredients, mixing until batter is uniform.

Spread batter into pan and bake at 350 degrees for about an hour or until toothpick comes out clean. [Test the cake at 30 MINUTES because that is all mine took to bake.] Cool and enjoy!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks so great! My friend and I are actually on a cleanse right now by Gittleman. I was wondering, could we substitute our own home made brown rice flour or a variation of gluten free flour for the whole wheat to make it "legal" on our cleanse?
P.s just found your blog searching for ALG's apple flax cake recipe and I want to try your quinoa crunch & eggplant baba ganosh already!

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio