Monday, August 10, 2009

Spelt Chocolate Chip Cookies

In a temporary attempt to cut wheat, dairy and sugar from my diet (basically avoiding all white foods so that I look good in my white dress this fall ;-)), I adapted this cookie recipe -- using agave nectar and spelt flour instead of white flour and white sugar.

With furrowed brow and dour skepticism in my snack-loving heart, I put the baking sheets in the oven. Then I remembered my brand-new and full-on effort to try to find something positive in every experience (and remain focused on it!). I hoped for the best. And you know what? These lil' babies stepped up to the plate. My plate! They are delicious, chewy, 4th grader after-school snack-worthy. Serious. And I’m not talking “these aren’t not bad for health food.” Nope. I’m talking, “Damn child, these cookies taste GOOD! I should try to sell this thing to Nabisco!”

And of course, just like my white ingredient-laden nemesis, I ate way too many. But what’s the positive in that? Ah, let me count the ways…Fiber, low-glycemic index, they’re yummy, my dress will still fit, they make me smile, my house smells good while they bake, organic yummies, unprocessed yummies, happy snacking, I get to share my recipe with you, I love chocolate, chocolate makes me happy, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate…


SPELT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Adapted from Eat Right For Your Blood Type

Ingredients:
1/3 C. canola oil
½ C. maple syrup (I used agave nectar)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 organic egg
1 ½ C. flour (spelt, oat, brown, rice <--I used spelt)
¼ flax meal
1 tsp. baking soda
½ C. chocolate chips or unsweetened carob chips
Dash of allspice

Directions:
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees.

2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the oil, syrup and vanilla. Beat in the egg.

3. Stir in the flour, baking soda and allspice. If mix seems to wet, add a little more flour, a few tablespoons at a time until it has a nice, thick cookie dough consistency.

4. Fold in chocolate or carob chips.

5. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls, 1 ½ inches apart, onto a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the edges are lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Eat them with an ice cold glass of milk (or soy milk). Paula Deen likes hers with ice cubes, and I tried it. She’s right—it rocks. :-)

3 comments:

samantha said...

i want to taste those!!! yum. btw - i showed all my friends at work your blog, they loved it!!

flappergirl said...

hahah thanks sam! i'll have to make a fresh batch for you because we ate all of these out of the oven. LOL! xo

vitamine c said...

Seems so tasty and yummy. Thanks for sharing. I am going to try this and reply you shortly. I like chocolate. Its great combination of chocolate and vanila.

 
Blog Design by Delicious Design Studio